Should I License My Music?

06/10/14 at 02:35 PM | Published Under News & Updates by MelodyFusion Team

[This is a Master Class on Licensing and Copyright. If you have had problems with licenses, payouts and related matters, we really want your comments below!]

You license your music so that you can be properly compensated for the use of your work, or, to put it in other words: licensing your music is the foundation of making money in the music business.  A license provides the right –granted by the copyright holder – for someone to broadcast, recreate or perform a recorded copy of your (NOTE ->) copyrighted work. Most music licensing agreements include some form of compensation to the copyright owner.

Now I’m going to ‘should’ on you. If you are contemplating working with a music outfit, you should read the license agreement. Yes, the license agreement is typically written in legalese. If you have a legal person working with you, take some time and review the parts of a license agreement to get familiar with the terms.

Types of Music Licenses

Types of licenses:  Synchronization, Public Performance, Mechanical  

#1) Synchronization: Your track is synchronized with video. This can be a TV commercial, movie, YouTube video, etc. 

#2) Public Performance: your track is publicly performed on the radio, the internet, sports arena or retail store.

#3) Mechanical: your track is being delivered to the end user (either digitally or physically) in a format they can take with them. Think vinyls, tapes, CDs, iTunes and other digital formats.


Music License Agreements

You can Google ‘music license agreement example’ to find some, for example:  Each of the platforms you are looking to sell your music through should make their license available to you. Here some current biggies: You can find common music licensing terms at  and a good list of definitions at

Next week we'll discuss copywrites, the benefits and uses of them, and the difference between copywrites and licenses. Until then, keep on rockin with Melody Fusion!